Thursday, March 31, 2011

Geotagging test.

The time is nearing for my trip to Vietnam and Cambodia. Next week I head to Los Angeles to visit friends, then on friday its off to southeast asia. I am traveling with my friend Brian (click to see his blog). The usual dilemma of figuring out just what gear I am going to haul with has been weighing heavily on my mind for some time, and, with just days to go, there are constant amendments to that list.

For a while now geotagging has been on my list of things to try. After lots of research, and weighing out my options, I decided to go with a small GPS logger device. I went with the Holux M-241, its small, and unlike many other geotagging options, it does not have to plug into my 10 pin terminal or sit in the hot shoe of my camera. Today I decided to take it, and my camera, along on my daily commute to work in Sheboygan Falls. I snapped a few photos as I went to test out the software which later syncs the photos up with the location data from the GPS.



Scott Ehlers
, driving into the morning sun.


One nice feature is I am able to transfer the paths into google maps so I will be able to share exactly where I went on a map while on my trip. Here is a sample map of the drive to and from work.



View Work Commute in a larger map

I hope to be posting photos/updates daily while in Vietnam and Cambodia, stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment